The Law Enforcement First Response Tactical Casualty Care (LEFR), is continuing education Tactical Emergency First Aid course offered through NAEMT’s PHTLS program. This course was initially developed in collaboration with the Denver EMS, Denver SWAT, and NAEMT’s Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) Committee. LEFR teaches public safety first responders (police, law enforcement officers, firefighters, and other first responders) the basic medical care interventions that can help save injured responder’s or victim’s lives until they can be assisted by conventional EMS.
In addition to the patrol officer, this course is ideally suited to:
- Non-medical first responders
- Medical first responders for whom tactical operations are not in their primary responsibilities
- Fire service personnel
- Allied professionals
Upon successful completion of the course participants will:
- Understand the rationale for immediate steps of hemorrhage control (including external hemorrhage control, direct pressure and wound packing, early use of tourniquet for severe hemorrhage, internal hemorrhage control by rapid evacuation, and transportation to major hospital/trauma center).
- Demonstrate the competent application of a tourniquet to the arm and leg (typically in less than 20 seconds by course conclusion).
- Demonstrate the correct application of a topical haemostatic dressing (combat gauze).
- Describe the progressive strategy for controlling catastrophic hemorrhage.
- Describe appropriate airway control techniques and basic adjunct devices.
- Recognize the tactically relevant indicators of shock.
- Receive a nationally recognized LEFR Certification, accredited by the NAEMT and F1 continuing medical education (CME) credits by the Commission on Accreditation on Prehospital Continuing Education and administered by Southwestern College.
For students travelling from out of town, ask about our very reasonable onsite berthing (barracks) facility. It is secure, with 24hr guard, parking with a restaurant on site.
Without pre-payment to reserve your seat, there is no guarantee of availability.
No refunds less than thirty (30) business days from the start of class; however, tuition may be applied to another eligible student.
For further details, please contact: